Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Surgery Story

Ok, I'm back.  Here's a rundown of my day...

I woke up at 6:15 this morning to take a Zofran (anti-nausea) and a Lyrica (for nerve pain).  I then sat around for a while hating life and thinking I was going to die because I couldn't have coffee.  I got in the shower around 7:30 and washed with another one of those fire sponges, and my mom picked me up at 8:00, because Phillip had to leave for Indianapolis today.

Once I got to Imaage, I changed into a gown and they covered me with warm blankets that came out of an 160 degree oven.  I chatted it up with the recovery nurse and the nurse anesthetist and warned them both that the last time I had anesthesia, when I had my wisdom teeth taken out, I woke up CRAZY.  Crazy as in I tried to kick in the windshield, take my shirt off in front of my dad, sing Tim McGraw, and then burst into tears all within a 5 minute car ride.  So it was just an FYI to the Imaage staff, don't wake me up too early or piss me off.  I think they heeded my warning, because after that conversation the nurse anesthetist refreshed my blankets with new ones from the oven and fluffed my pillow, and assured me he would not let me act on any of my aggressive or stripper tendencies while I was under his watch.

I then went into the operating room, and talked to Dr. Haas.  I told him I had misgivings and tried to explain to him that even after removing the hump, I think my nose will still be too long.  The next thing I know I was awake in the recovery room.  The recovery nurse, the nurse anesthetist, and Dr. Haas were all there telling me it looks great and I did great.  Dr. Haas told me it wouldn't look too long and I should be happy with the results, so I hope he is right.

My mom had to go to Cincinnati, so my cousin Elizabeth came to pick me up, so at that point the recovery nurse brought her in and gave her all of my post-op instructions.  That's also when Elizabeth took this picture for me.  That is my attempt to smile right after waking up from anesthesia.

When I got home (to my parents' house), my sister-in-law, Sawsan, and baby nephew, Adam, were there waiting.  Elizabeth and Sawsan did a great job taking care of me until my mom came home at 3:45.  Elizabeth gave me my meds and started a chart on them to give to my mom, and Sawsan fed me soup and fluffed me up in the recliner with pillows and a comforter.  They both kept me in steady supply of water and ginger ale, because so far, the worst part of my Day 1 recovery is the cotton mouth.

On a scale of 1-10, I would say my pain level is a 1.  And that 1 really isn't even pain, it's more just discomfort.  I have things that resemble tampons in my nose, with strings hanging out and everything.  I have gauze squished under my nose and taped to my face, which needs to be changed every couple of hours.  I have a splint on top of my nose.  I have to mouth breathe.  When I stand up, I feel a little wobbly.  But I'm not in pain.

As far as swelling and bruising goes, I have just a little puffiness around both eyes, but a big black eye has formed under the right one.  The nurse said the swelling peaks at 24-48 hours though, so I have that to look forward to I guess.  Which reminds me, I'm supposed to be doing 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off with an ice filled eye mask, and I need to get back on it.

Here's a picture taken just before writing this blog entry, so about 9 hours after surgery.

Please ignore the white collared shirt.  I had to wear a button-up, and it was the only one I didn't care about getting stained by any drainage.  It's actually an old uniform shirt from my Catholic school days.

Lastly, as you can see, I'm totally alert and oriented.  I've taken a few catnaps, but I haven't been completely zonked out like I thought I'd be.  After my wisdom teeth surgery, I think I slept for 3 days straight with those Percocets they gave me, but these pain meds Dr. Haas prescribed don't seem to have that effect on me.  I am able to walk around and take myself to the bathroom, which I'm glad for.  I also haven't had any nausea at all today.

Overall, Day 1 was easy peasy.  I hope I'm not in for an ugly surprise tomorrow morning when there's no residual anesthesia and my face is swollen and bruised like a street fighter...

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I can't wait to see what it looks like unwrapped. You are so brave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I can't wait to see it either- the splint comes off Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your experience. This is very helpful for us. or a satisfactory rhinoplasty job, the plastic surgeon needs to study the facial structure of the patient very closely.

    ____________________
    Rhinoplasty Philippines

    ReplyDelete